Who would think that a classic fedora would make waves in the fashion industry? Fedora hats currently serve as the general term for hats made from felt fabrics. Although it can be easily mistaken with other hats for men like the trilby and Panama hats, it has its own unique style that makes it a popular choice among men.
Fedora hats were formerly portrayed as a hat for gangsters in the 1920s. It suddenly became hip and stylish in the year 2000. It is now a staple head accessory for men and even women that has a bit of a polarizing effect. Either you really, really love it, or you simply hate it. What is a fedora hat, and where did it come from? We know that it is not really a walk in the park to pull off a fedora look, so how should you wear your fedoras. What are the things to ponder on in choosing your fedora? All of these and more as we journey our way to the well-loved and hated fashion accessory, the fedora hat.
First, let me introduce an exclusive list of chic and fashionable fedora hats for men that are stress-free to wear and pair with any of your outfits.
- Wide Brim Brass Plume Felt Hat (3 Available Color)
Have you ever heard of adding another feather to your hat? A brass one in this case. Featuring a handmade felt Panama styled hat beautifully fashioned from a high-quality felt fabric in three bold shade. Add a brass-plated feather plume and a silky white ribbon hatband for a clean and immaculate flair. Get from HERE
- Polyester Oval Silver Stud Leather Hatband Fedora (7 Available Colors)
Let's ride! Here is a cowboy-inspired hat handcrafted from an excellent piece of polyester fabric styled with a sturdy central dented crown with a glossy black leather hatband accentuated with silver-tone oval and round studs. Available in seven beautiful shades for a trendy and fresh look. Get from HERE
- Arrow Pattern White Hatband Felt Hat (4 Available Colors )
Showoff a cultured and smart look while keeping a rough and outdoorsy appeal with this cowboy hat fashion in four fine-looking colors of black, wine red, gray, and camel brown. Oozing with finesse from the beautifully patterned white hatband with embroidered arrow outline. Suitable for a cool stroll under the radiant rays of the sun. Get from HERE
- Round Buckle Slim Leather Belt Polyester Hat (7 Available Colors)
Pair this chic and stylish fedora with your jeans and exhibit a sexy look. Exquisitely styled with a sleek black leather belt with a round buckle secured with a knot design. Simple yet highly effective in upgrading your casual outfits. Seamlessly assembled from a piece of durable polyester fabric for long-lasting and comfortable wear. Get from HERE
- Classic Teardrop Dented Crown Wool Hat (2 Available Colors)
Nothing beats the classically styled hat with a royally high V-shaped crown, fashioned from a 100% wool fabric, so soft and smooth with a warm and comfortable feel. Look fashionable as you pair it with a pair of leather boots or smart with your coat. Get one now for and add this high-quality piece for your spring or autumn collection. Get from HERE
- Colorful Peacock Feather Teardrop Wool Hat (4 Available Colors)
Here is a one of a kind Panama hat inspired hat handcrafted from an unadulterated wool material with a teardrop dip crown and a full flat brim. The black ribbon hatband with a colorful peacock feather accent replicates a vintage British fashion for the elite and upperclassmen. Get from HERE
- Orange Sultan Feather Black Hatband Felt Hat (3 Available Colors)
Feel like a sultan with this elite looking hat immaculately fashioned from a piece of pure wool fabric decorated with a glossy black ribbon hatband accentuated with an upright feather with an orange top. Soft and comfortable, made for cold weather to protect your delicate head from the icy breeze of the air. Get from HERE
- Brass Plume Wide Brimmed Felt Hat (3 Available Colors)
Be a chic magnet by wearing a wide-brimmed Panama style wool hat and go for a traditional and refined look. Be like a poet with his brass-tone plume fastened on a sleek and silky black ribbon hatband ready to explore under the heat of the sun or the chilly breeze of the autumn air. Get from HERE
- Black Faux Braided Leather Filigree Wool Hat
Here is a style suitable for both men and women, its 3-ich full brim size is a great way to protect your eyes and facial skin from direct sunlight and prevent premature aging. Thanks to the premium-quality wool fabric used, it has a sturdy high crown form accompanied with a soft texture and warm texture for comfortable and stylish everyday wear. Get from HERE
- Center Dent Brown belt Felt Hat (7 Available Colors)
Have a look at these seven nifty shades for a fashionable and stress-free pairing. Each piece can enhance any color and styles, may it be as a practical headpiece to run some errands or a trendy accessory for a formal event. Handcrafted from a high-quality polyester fabric with a glossy warm brown leather belt accent. Get from HERE
- Black Teardrop Ribbon Hatband Wool Hat
Still have not found your perfect fedora? Maybe this classic piece is for you. Flawlessly hand-tailored from a piece of pure black wool fabric with a teardrop crown dent and a full 2.9-inch brim. The understated silky black ribbon hatband brings elegance and creates a warm contrast to your towering and commanding presence. Get from HERE
- Full Brim Striped Hatband Teardrop Felt Hat (3 Available Colors)
Is it cold outside? No problem! Just wear this together with your warm and soft scarf, and you are ready to go. Rock a bold and trendy look with this adorable hat made from a 100% pure fabric in three different shades. Highlighted with a striped pattern hatband with a neatly tied ribbon design. Get from HERE
- Circular Wave Magenta & Silver Wool Hat (3 Available Colors)
Stay fashionable even when bundled up with this highly glamorous hat made from thick and robust wool fabric with a warm and soft feel. It has magenta shade hatband embroidered with a glossy silver wave pattern that singlehandedly elevates a classic style to a more contemporary and high fashion flair, a perfect accessory for both young and mature men. Get from HERE
- Peacock Teardrop Black Felt Hat (4 Available Colors)
Showoff your peacock personality with this tremendous wide-brimmed fedora excellently fashioned from pure wool fabric. Feminine? I disagree, although only a man with a high sense of self-confidence would be able to pull this high fashion look. The colorful peacock feather accent serves a breath of fresh air over a dark and daunting black felt hat. Get from HERE
- Geometric Pattern Embroidered Straw Hat (6 Available Colors)
Experience style and comfort in one high-quality piece of head accessory. Handmade from a beautifully dyed straw material to keep an airy and relaxed feel even under a hot day under the sun. The native geometric embroidered hatband adds an ethnic vibe for a carefree and free-spirited look. Get from HERE
- Front Pinched Felt Cowboy Hat (7 Available Colors)
Not sure if it is a chilly or a sunny day outside? Worry no more for this fabulous hat is the solution to your fashion woes. Grab this high-quality wool cowboy hat styled with a full brim that serves your protection from the sun paired with a smooth and warm fabric to protect you from the cold breeze. Get from HERE
- Classic Leather Belt Center Dented Felt Hat (6 Available Colors)
Look dangerously hot and sexy with this pinched front hat. All you need is a white t-shirt or none at all! Its pure wool fabric gives a soft and warm feel, while the slim brown leather with a rectangular plate accent gives a cosmopolitan flair. Built with an adjustable inner tie for well-fitted and comfortable wear. Get from HERE
- Classic Black Hatband Felt Fedora (11 Available Colors)
Here is a headpiece for a more traditional and private man. Add a mysterious vibe with this high crown fedora with a modest wide black ribbon hatband. Exceptionally made from high-quality polyester fabric made available in eleven variety of shades to cater to all different styles and unique tastes. Get from HERE
- Front Pinched Leather Belt Colored Felt Hat (9 Available Colors)
Who brought the sexy back? You did by sporting a classy felt hat with your pulled-up long-sleeved shirt. Garner attention with this modestly fashioned fedora, handmade from pure wool material, emphasized by a black faux leather hatband that radiates a suave and debonair presence. Get from HERE
- Studded Brown Leather Hatband Felt Hat (8 Available Colors)
Feel the music with this jazz-inspired hat, tailored from a 100% colored wool fabric with a sturdy and velvety texture. Festooned with a double row prism silver-tone suds on a chocolate brown leather hatband. Wear this with your furry soft coat to add excitement to your casual everyday wear. Get from HERE
- Gold Fern Hatband Pinched Wool Fedora (10 Available Colors)
If a Greek fern tiara and a modern fedora hat had a child, then this magnificent piece would be it. Displaying a perfect unison of the golden fern from the past fastened on a sleek, soft felt fedora with an extended flat brim with its seamlessly sewn edges, and a center dented high crown. Get from HERE
- Triple Chain Buckle Belt Felt Hat (10 Available Colors)
Are you not a fan of umbrellas? Then it is time for you to get one of these. Featuring a classy and straightforward Panama styled felt hat, modernized by a manmade black leather hatband with three silver-tone ring chains. Its warm and soft texture is a match made from heaven for the cold and chilly night strolls. Get from HERE
- Tassel Laced Hatband Wool Hat (9 Available Colors)
Are you tired of the traditional plainly colored hats? Here is a trendy and out of the box, variety of a fedora hat made for women with non-conventional styles and taste. Featuring a Magnificently made felt hat with a light and freshly decorated hatband completed with adorable tassel pendants. Get from HERE
- Coin Cowrie Pom Pendant Wool Hat (9 Available Colors)
This fashion hat would definitely put a smile on anyone's face with its happy and playful vibe with a hint of ethnic background. Featuring a wide-brimmed hat fashioned from an excellent piece of wool fabric made with a high crown design. Styled with a native diamond-patterned hatband completed with copper-tone coins, cowrie shells, and brown soft yarn balls for spirited and cheerful flair. Get from HERE
- Classic Wide Brim Felt Panama Hat (21 Available Colors)
Bring back the glamorous look of the past with this old fashion Panama hat inspired felt hat made available in 21 fabulous shades. This chic hat exhibits the famous V shape dent with a pinched front on a sturdy high crown. Accentuated with a sleek black belt hatband for a classic grandeur. Get from HERE
- High Crown black Leather Belt Felt Fedora (11 Available Colors)
Sport a sleek and towering look with this high crown fedora exquisitely made from 100% wool fabric. Designed with an adjustable inner tie for a perfect and comfortable fit. Adorned with a stylish slim leather belt hatband to keep the elegant and classy presence. Get from HERE
- High Crown Leather Knot Tied Felt Hat (15 Available Colors)
Look good from the front and back with this stunningly made felt hat made from velvety soft and smooth wool fabric. Its extended brim complements its high crown with a center dent to create a taller and slender figure equipped with an elegant leather accent with a knotted end back. Get from HERE
- Sleek Black Leather Belt Hatband Fedora (16 Available Colors)
Choose from our sixteen various colors, from the versatile, sleek black to fancy playful yellow. Exceptionally fashioned from a piece of high-quality wool fabric with a traditional belt hatband accent. Warm and soft to touch with a pleasantly comfortable weight, suitable for a fine, chilly day. Get from HERE
- Two-Tone Felt Wide Brim Cowboy Hat (4 Available Color)
Are you looking for fashion-forward multifarious that looks great on all angles? We got you covered with this flawlessly made cowboy hat styled with two lively colored fabrics. Equipped with a high-crown for a sophisticated appeal plus a slim and glossy faux leather hatband design for an authentic and classy look. Get from HERE
- Scorpion Brooch Hatband Black Felt Hat
Play with a high-class businessperson look with this sleek black felt fedora tailored with a semi-curved, short brim hat. Its smooth black ribbon is adorned with a three-dimensional silver-tone scorpion brooch for a highly bold and masculine flair. Flawlessly made from 100% wool fabric with a soft and velvety texture. Get from HERE
The term Fedora was coined from a play in 1882 wherein the lead female artist wore a soft felt hat. It had the iconic center crease on the crown, which later became a fashion hat and a calling card for the women's rights movement. In the 20th century, it was a symbol of wealth and status; it was customary for a gentleman to take off his hat when conversing with women. The prince wales introduced the hat as a stylish gear to protect them from the rain and wind. It became part of the typical suit dress code as a fitting headwear. In effect, several hat style that resembles the fedora became popular as well. At present, fedoras are widely used by Hollywood actors and even singer from pop to jazz genre.
Cool or Tacky?
A hat is just a hat; now, how a hat is worn depends on the wearer. Fedoras, when worn correctly, are a magnificent piece of headgear. Fashionistas can pull off vibrantly colored and well-decorated hats due to their in-depth understand of the fashion industry and still look refined and well dressed. Some would try to copy those styles but end up flat on their face and look tacky and overdressed. This is where the hate for fedora roots from, by how it is utilized instead of the hat itself.
Hats that are Commonly Mistaken as a Fedora:
What sets a trilby hat from a fedora is that it is fashioned from tweed or straw material. It has a high crown and a smaller brim with a dipped front.
This a straw-hat native to the country of Ecuador. Typically, a summer hat made for tropical and hot weather. Lightweight and breathable for a relaxed and laid-back look, a total contrast for the warm and formal fedora look.
Also known as the derby or bob hat. It serves as an iconic British hat characterized by a hard crown that was a popular accessory for the middle and upper classes in the late 19th century.
Much like the Fedora, a homburg is made of wool felt with a dent at the center of the crown. It has a white grosgrain ribbon hatband with a semi-curved brim. Initially a hunting gear for the German empire. It became a staple headgear for informal to semi-formal attire.
What Makes a Hat, a Fedora?
- The crown of the hat usually exhibits a teardrop of a diamond crease center.
- The brim size varies in length with a variety of edge finish such as:
- Raw – the edge is left untrimmed after cutting, this gives a sharp look
- Overwelt – the edges are folded over and sewn
- Underwelt – the edges are folded under and stitched.
- Bound – the edges are covered and sewn with a grosgrain ribbon.
- Cavanagh – seamlessly welted edges that can only be seen on vintage fedoras.
- It usually has a pinched front crown that can either be sharp or soft.
- The fabrics used are felt material originating from different origins.
- Ribbon hatbands in various patterns and colors are the typical decoration used on this type of hat.
- One feature of a hat in general that has been neglected is the sweatband. There are two types of sweatband, and these are:
- Reeded – a reeded sweatband includes three components, the felt brim beak, the sweatband, and the reed tape. The reed tape serves as the barrier between the sweatband and the felt brim. It stops the sweat from leaking into the upper felt to prevent sweat stains, particularly for dark-colored felt hats.
- Unreeded – an unreeded sweatband only has two components wherein the sweatband is directly sewn to the felt hat. This is a hat of choice if you do not sweat a lot for the sweatband would be able to take up some moisture.
How to Properly Wear a Fedora?
First, there is not a single proven way to properly execute a fedora style look; it all rest on the style you are going for and the charisma of the wearer.
- For a formal look, pair your fedora with a suit and tie. Place the hat firmly on your head for a clean and smart look.
- For a casual and debonair look, you can comfortably wear your hat with a fresh and crisp white t-shirt and slim jeans. Please avoid baggy pants and oversized shirt or look like a douchebag, you know what I mean.
- Pair your hat with a coat or a blazer to sport that casual to semi-formal flair. Remember, a hat was once part of a gentleman's suit, and to stay with that classic look, it is more comfortable to wear them with an overcoat for an instantaneous presentable look.
- Please, do not wear a hat and a pair of sunglasses together, one word, tacky.
- Classic is key. In sporting a hat, it is best to stick to a classic style and color. Not only does it creates a less complexing life when it comes to pairing, but also, the aura of a traditional fedora is undeniable more magnetic and elegant than a bright and overly decorated one.
Now that we have learned some factors in wearing and choosing a fedora, you may now decide if wearing a fedora is for you. We all sport different styles but one thing is for sure, having a fedora in your closet sure is handy not as a fashion accessory but a practical hat to use on a daily basis.